Saturday, February 3, 2007

BIG Brother (Pinoy)



By Jie LaoShi

When I accepted this job, I knew that it would entail the responsibility of acting as a Big Brother. Big Brother to teachers and students alike. I am not big! I am small in stature. But, I am tall in wisdom, wide in vision and narrow in purpose. I guess these would be enough to compensate for my deficiency in physique and act as a Brother.

Acting as a Brother, I normally offer my “shoulder”. A shoulder to cry on, as the song says. When I am approached by colleagues and students about problems, my usual advice is based from a song, “Let it Be” by the Beatles. Part of the song goes:

When I find myself in times of trouble; Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom; Let it be
And in my hours of darkness; She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom; Let it be

And when the broken hearted people, living in the world agree
There will be an answer; Let it be

And when the night is cloudy; there is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow; Let it be


Problems have a way of solving themselves. Just do what you should do, and then wait, “Let it Be”. This has been my guide through the years. Whenever I encounter problems, I get my guitar and sing the song. It is a timeless advice. Ever since John Lennon and Paul McCartney penned the song in the 1960s, it has comforted lots of people, I am sure.

Problems are a part of life. It is a reality. They keep us on our toes. Without problems, life will have no colour, no excitement, nothing to think about. Life will be boring. Everybody needs an excitement. Look at a problem as a stimulus. It should spark enthusiasm in living. The challenge to endure and defy the odd is a very good prospect. So, like the hit reality TV series “Big Brother”, we do everything to survive and stay within the confines of the “house”.

No comments: